Wipe My Butt

           

“WIPE MY BUTT.”  My three colleagues and I looked at each other, dumbfounded, as the new mother repeated herself in her thick Southern accent.  “HELP ME WIPE MY BUTT!” None of us could figure out why this woman would request such a thing, but one of my colleagues crouched next to her on that toilet and wiped her butt.  As soon as we left the room, we couldn’t help but burst out laughing.
Being a nurse is extraordinary. I went to nursing school after the birth of my son.  I always wanted to be a nurse, but didn’t think I was smart or dedicated enough to get through nursing school. Giving birth changes things. It makes you realize that you can do anything. Having a baby, from conception to birth, is truly a miracle.
During nursing school, I worked as a nurse’s aide on the mother/baby unit. I absolutely loved it. Taking care of the new moms right after delivery and helping them care for their newborns was a true gift. After graduation, I worked on that same unit as an R.N. I felt blessed to be a part of such a special time in a woman’s life.  
After a few years, I left that hospital and started working at a hospital closer to home. It was also the start of my Labor and Delivery (L&D) career. This was such an incredible time in my life. The majority of births were beautiful experiences. After all, new life was being brought into the world. Some were scary. Some were funny. Some left me concerned for the baby’s wellbeing.
I have had many experiences during my 18 years as an R.N., and not all of them in L&D.  In most cases, people are at their most vulnerable when they need a nurse. Many times, that leads to some interesting and comical situations. I hope you’ll stick with me as I regale the world with my best nursing stories.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medicine Meets Faith

Zavanelli Maneuver